The New Year gives us the opportunity to reflect on the past year and to get prepared for what’s next. We have a chance to set some goals and put the strategies in place to achieve them.
I don’t personally believe in New Year’s Resolutions. I believe in reviewing and setting goals for the coming year. A goal is defined as: The result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end.
So what do you want to do differently this year? What dream has been eluding you? What plan do you have in place to reach your goals?
I would like to share with you a few things I’ve found productive in my goal setting and my goal accomplishing.
- Set your Goals, be specific and intentional: I set mine by category: Family, Health & Fitness, Spiritual, Relationships, Business/Investment
- Set time frames: All goals need structure or real life can often get in the way. To build a solid foundation for these goals, construct a schedule. But also keep in mind what Laura Berman Fortgang says “as you move along, don’t judge the time you’re using or try to measure whether it’s productive, just get absorbed in the activity.”
- See the goal in your mind’s eye and break it down into steps: Breaking the goal down into manageable steps is the key. Have a plan with the steps and milestones outlined (this can be revised as you go along). Take a step, reach the milestone and repeat the process. Breaking the goal down into “bite-size” chunks makes it feel more manageable and gives you successes along the way.
- “Be” don’t “Want to Be: As you start to make progress toward that goal, know from that time forward you are the goal. For example, your goal is to buy and sell your first piece of investment real estate. You’ve purchased the property but you haven’t finished rehabbing it, don’t say “I am trying to be a Real Estate Investor”, “Say I am a Real Estate Investor”.
- Share your Goals: It is proven that when a goal is spoken it has a greater chance of being achieved. Networking in all aspects of life is important, especially in the Real Estate Industry. Because, as investors, we don’t collaborate with others very often, it is very important to get out with like minded people and share your goals and experiences.
- “DO IT NOW” and Miracles will Happen: as the late W. Clement Stone (the man behind PMA-Positive Mental Attitude) advised.
Goals are important and I hope that I’ve provided you with a structure that will help you reach them.
“Successful people maintain a positive focus in life no matter what is going on around them. They stay focused on their past successes rather than their past failures, and on the next action steps they need to take to get them closer to the fulfillment of their goals rather than all the other distractions that life presents to them.” Jack Canfield
There is no better time to start than now. Happy 2015