John McHugh began trading in high school, as a hobby with his father. After graduating from college, he worked for a variety of brokerages before running a hedge fund and finally becoming a full-time trader. Thus, he has touched all the bases that make him ideally qualified as an Online Trading Academy Instructor.
John’s extensive Wall Street experience gives him an industry insider’s perspective on what drives price movement. His goal is to share his experience with his students to accelerate their learning curve and give them a trading edge. He enjoys providing a trading desk experience in his classes to give new traders an energetic, value-filled learning environment.
John believes the fastest way for a student to achieve proficiency is to work with mentors, participate in a community of like-minded people and commit to the ongoing improvement of their craft. He is passionate about helping traders work toward their own personal hopes and aspirations.
- B.S. Political Science, Santa Clara University
- Broker at 2 major Wall Street Firms
- Research Analyst for healthcare, Kemper Securities and Hambrecht & Quist
- Research Analyst, Emerging Growth Management
- Analyst & Portfolio Manager, Sterling Johnston Capital Management
- Founder & Portfolio Manager, Pelican Partners
- Surfing, running & beach volleyball
- Travel: visited 30 different countries while trading on location over past 10 years
What Students Are Saying
“I really enjoyed the core strategy class instructed by John McHugh. For me personally, he excelled in the art of teaching the OTA's specialized trading techniques to a very diverse class of students. I left the class at the end of the week far more knowledgeable knowing I had the backing of OTA with all its resources as I start out in the world of trading. All the best to the OTA team!!!!”
“Our instructor, John McHugh, did a great job of teaching us how to properly identify zones.”