Once a year at Online Trading Academy we have the opportunity to get together at an annual conference held for the staff and leadership. It is a time to re-energize our professional skills and goals. One of the things I took away from the conference this year was a reminder of the value of mentors and how often they are right in front of us. I have had the pleasure of working with wonderful mentors along my path and in the last couple of decades I have also had the privilege of being a mentor.
A mentor can be the catalyst that helps us take our goals and dreams and launches them to reality.
Let’s define mentor: Dictionary.com defines it as “A wise and trusted counselor or teacher or an influential senior sponsor or supporter.”
Wikipedia’s definition is: “A developmental relationship in which a more experienced or more knowledgeable person helps a less experienced or less knowledgeable person—who can be referred to as a protégé, or apprentice — to develop in a specified capacity.”
My definition of a mentor would be “someone who has the ability to help me move past my comfort zone. And with the experience and wisdom to know that moving me past that comfort zone will help me reach my desired goal(s). ” Why do we get stuck in these comfort zones and why so often do we need help to move pass them? It is human nature to stay with what we know and where we’re comfortable. A mentor can help us get past that point by giving us, specific knowledge we are lacking, making us accountable, caring about the outcome, providing confidence, and often just listening. Below is a list of qualities that I think are important to look for in a mentor and also valuable to possess if you are one:
- A mentor must be someone you respect. If you know of someone who has accomplished things that you admire and hope to achieve yourself, that’s the person to provide guidance.
- A mentor should be a person who will support your needs and aspirations, who will encourage you to accept challenges and overcome difficulties, and who will motivate and inspire you to reach your full potential.
- A mentor should be someone who is genuinely interested in people, has a desire to help others succeed, knows how to effectively communicate and actively listen.
- A mentor is self-confident and helps the mentee create self-confidence.
- A mentor is one who takes pride in their organization, relishes challenges and has a strong vision.
- A mentor creates a clear view of the big picture.
- A mentor should be an expert in the field.
- A mentor should lead you to the answers, not give them to you.
- A mentor sets high expectations.
- A mentor should encourage calculated risk-taking.
I recently got an email with a quote that is perfect for this article:
“The difference between coaching and criticism is your attitude.”
Whether you’re looking for a mentor or currently mentoring someone, keep these qualities in mind they will help create the win win situation you’re seeking. I know that without my mentors I wouldn’t be who I am today and who I’ll be tomorrow. Whether you are the mentor or mentee there is an opportunity for growth.
Here at Online Trading Academy we have developed a very unique and personal way of mentoring, our Extended Learning Track (XLT) programs. No matter what your area (or areas) of interest we have an XLT that will help you reach those goals. I feel so blessed to be included as part of the Online Trading Academy Family and to have the opportunity to work with many of you on your Real Estate Goals.